‘ An impressive gallop along the thin line between Ernst Jünger and Leo Tolstoy.
Her natural metaphors come with animalistic power, her reflections are as clever as
distinctive and the way she conjures up the sultry, stormy atmosphere on the eve of
the Second World War testifies of a great story telling ability.’
– Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung
Sometimes it sounds like the blast of trumpets. Sometimes like a prehistoric beast. It must be something
tectonic, Nadia and Lev reassure each other. Something meteorological, perhaps. But these dark noises
have not always ripped through the skies above thier home deep in the forests of Russia. Once the couple
ran a sanctuary for orphaned bears cubs, but the volunteers have stopped coming and as Lev's mind starts
to falter, Nadia is drawn into a battle with her own memories. Where has everyone gone? And what
happened in the year she wants so badly to forget?
Phon is the tale of two lonely resilient people living on the very edge of a disrupted society and how they relate to their loved ones, history and the animal world of which they are part. When all certainty is lost, imagination is the force that will sustain them.
- February 19 Rave review Aus dem Licht by Süddeutsche Zeitung.
- March 17 Review Aus dem Licht by Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung.
- March 22 Leipzig, Haus des Buches
- April 12 Münster, Literaturverein
- April 23 Osnabrück, Arthouse/BlueNote (ND Rundfunk)
- May 17 Friedrichshafen, Bodenseefestival
- July 31 Mönchengladbach, Festival Literarischer Sommer
- August 1 Krefeld, Festival Literarischer Sommer
- September 18 - 22 Veneto, Italy - festival Pordenone Legge
- November 10 Matinee 11.00 Uhr: Potsdam, Villa Quandt
- November 11 Abends : Zossen
- November 22 Wachau, Austria - European Literature Days 2019
The Dutch Maiden (AKO literatuurprijs, European Union Prize for Literature) – rights sold to twelve countries
Roundhay, tuinscène (shortlist Libris Literatuurprijs) rights sold to Hanser Verlag, München
Gezellige verhalen (Biesheuvelprijs 2016) rights sold to Kalem Agency and Izida